Serving Others

Clarke - knoxville, Tennessee

Pat Tillman’s story is an inspiration to many people. After he graduated from Arizona State University, he was drafted to play in the National Football League. He played safety for the Arizona Cardinals. The St. Louis Rams offered him a nine million dollar signing bonus to switch teams, but he turned it down because he thought he needed to remain loyal to the Cardinals. After 9/11, Tillman wanted to serve his country; so he became an Army Ranger. He was only 25 years old. He walked away from a professional sports career and a 3.6 million dollar contract to put his life on the line. Tillman died in Afghanistan on April 22, 2004—a victim of friendly fire.

Tillman’s story has really influenced my life; he has shown me that some people in the world care more about the safety and well being of others than they care for their own lives. Tillman’s example inspired me to change my life. Even though I’m still in high school I want to begin serving others. In the near future I will be going on a mission for my church; The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

When I turn 19 I will send my mission application to Salt Lake City and wait for them to tell me what city my mission will be located in. Once I know where it is I am going, I will then go to the MTC (missionary training center). After I have been trained to be a missionary, I will set off for my selected location. A companion will be assigned to me, and together we will go out and teach others the gospel of Jesus Christ. For two years I will do this kind of mission work. No worldly luxuries will be afforded me: no TV, no movies, and no listening to music. I will not date or be alone with girls, and I won’t read anything but scriptural or religious themed doctrine. My objective for going on this mission is to share with others the joy and peace that the gospel offers. During this two-year mission I will devote myself to others; only having half a day per week to take care of my own necessities. Those who need my help can always call or find us, and we will gladly assist them.

Tillman’s story has gotten me excited to serve others. Because of Pat Tillman’s example and others like him, I’ve learned that committing my life to serve others is the most important thing in life.