Riley - Knoxville, Tennessee

I believe that everyone is obligated to help someone when the person is in a time of need. I believe that no matter where you are or whom you’re with, you’re responsible for helping anyone that needs it. People are worst at doing this when they travel compared to when they are at home in their neighborhood. I’m not saying that people are selfish, ignorant animals; I’m simply saying that we always have a job to be ready for.

A good example is say a hurricane or tornado or some other severe storm hits where you live and destroys your neighbor’s house, it is your duty to go over to what remains of you neighbors house and help him by calling an ambulance or what ever help he needs and helping clean up what’s left.

I actually saw what the point I’m making in action down in Costa Rica this past June. I was down in Costa Rica for 4 days with my dad. We have a car and a small villa down there; the villa is part of a resort so there are other Americans in the area too. We spent our first day there on the beach at the resort. The next day we took a road trip from the pacific side of the country to the middle to see the Volcano Arenal. We spent a day and a half there. In the afternoon of the third day we headed back toward the resort. It had been raining for the past 2 days but we thought it was just because it was rainy season. We had no idea that a tropical storm was hitting the pacific side and the resort. As we got within an hour away from the resort we ran into an American couple on vacation. They had rented a small 4-wheel drive Suzuki which drove well on the dirt roads but it could not go through the river crossings that were at the time three times the depth the should have been. My dad and I were driving in a Land Rover Defender 110 with a snorkel which was ideal for going through rivers. A Defender 110 is a large 4-wheel drive SUV. It’s like the Hummer H1 except instead of being very wide it is long. Anyway, so we picked up this couple and drove through the flooded streets that their rental car couldn’t make it through and we got to the resort after going around and through some obstacles. The next day my dad in I went with some locals to remove a massive tree that had fallen across the road. We spent two hours in the downpouring rain cutting the tree into small pieces and then moving the pieces with our car. As we did this there was a small group of American tourist that sat back in their car and took pictures.

This is a perfect example of what I believe. We didn’t need to help the couple get to the resort or hellp move the tree out of the road, but we wanted to and knew that it was the right thing to do. What I’m saying is that no matter where you are or who your with you must help others. So what if you get wet or muddy, I would rather have that on me instead of the guilt from not saving someone.