Jane - Knoxville, Tennessee

In the course of life, you come across three different types of people: People who you can be yourself around, people who you can’t be yourself around, and people who you really don’t care what they think of you. This is a hard thing to deal with for lots of people because of the effort and questioning given to this topic when there is really only one clear answer that’s often times very hard for people to see in this day in age especially. This I believe, is to be yourself around everyone you come in contact with, no matter how highly or how low they will presume you in your opinion.

We, as humans, do not understand that what we think of ourselves as people overcomes what anyone else believes. We let others’ opinions hurt us, strengthen, and transform us, when we really shouldn’t. It’s our job as individuals to maintain our own boundaries, habits, and abilities, and to not let the thought of one mere person have an impact strong enough to compete with what we believe of ourselves. Sometimes, this can be challenging, and is I have began to grow up more and more each day it has just gotten that much harder. Although it’s very difficult, it’s necessary to not let other peoples’ opinions of ourselves effect us at a toll that we end up losing ourselves all together. This is just not fair, and at times, is a hard concept for anyone at any age to grasp. To truly be yourself, you have to in a way put your own opinion above anyone else’s to maintain your own internal happiness. As a teenager in this troubled world we live in, this has especially been difficult for me because I’ve had trouble grasping this concept successfully enough to follow through with it in my own personal journey. Internally, I understand that this is the correct way to live your life, but in many cases, this being one of them, it’s a lot easier to say than to actually do. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve noticed more and more harsh things about the world we live in and how strong you really have to be to make it through while at the same time being content with yourself. In many instances, people go through lifetimes not knowing and not understanding how to truly be themselves and they don’t realize it at times until it’s too late.

This I believe is why it’s necessary to be yourself in front of everyone you choose to be around or meet. It is important to live a happy life, no matter what someone else might think of you. That doesn’t even matter anyways. In the end, it’s necessary to ask yourself: Would you rather physically and mentally be happy with yourself, or have someone who doesn’t deserve your time and character to dislike you…? That’s what I thought….