Elise - Knoxville, Tennessee

I believe that many teenagers, like myself, take many wonderful things or people in life for granted. I never know what to appreciate. Am I to appreciate what designer clothes I own? Appreciate my parents for giving me the freedoms that I have? I just don’t even know! The main aspect I see teenagers take advantage of is a person like a family member. I can relate to this and I feel that I just now understand that I should be thankful for my family and not take them for granted. My dad’s mom is the only grandparent I have left and have ever known. She is an amazing woman, who still manages to keep up with her daily routine, help work at a museum, and go to classes to refresh her ninety-year old brain. She even travels sometimes outside the United States. She walks everyday and cooks a homemade meal whenever we come over. No one can beat her potato casserole and her lemon meringue pie! Wow, I have to admit, I am even impressed with my own grandmother. It seems like all these special things she does for me, I don’t take into consideration. I just think that everyone else is capable of doing what she is capable of doing which is not the case. I am fortunate to have a grandmother who is such a talented and loveable person. She always has such interesting stories to tell. However, whenever I am with her, I feel awkward and just take off from sitting down and conversing with her to do something “more important” to me. For intense, every year my dad’s side of the family and our family go somewhere for Christmas. We usually stay close to home since my grandmother is getting to an old age rather than travel far like we used to. Either way, I never spend time with my grandmother but I spend time with my cousins instead. I really don’t know why I do this but I do. The only reason I can come up with is that I definitely do not want to spend a vacation sitting and talking to an old, boring, woman when I could be hanging out with my cousins or something else that is active and fun. My cousins and I always speak to her but never have a nice conversation. I will usually say to her: “Hey Grandmother, How are you?” She’ll reply “Good, You?” This is the minimum my grandmother and I talk about unless there is a group of people and the conversation gets somewhere. I usually go off as I said earlier and do something “more important” to me. When watching people, like myself, barely speak to their grandparents, it makes me feel depressed especially when they are just sitting in a chair watching their grandchildren play. Grandparents are more than just an old person. Some kids are not fortunate enough to ever see their grandparents. Sometimes they get to see them once a year and that pretty much sums it up. For me, my grandmother lives about twenty-five minutes away from me. We always treat her to a special dinner or take her to my cheerleading competitions. I am at least fortunate enough to see her every year and every month. Some teens take grandparents for granted. They use them for birthday gifts, Christmas presents, or something that you can depend on a grandparent for like always buying you something if you want it so badly. Grandparents do so much for their grandchildren and it seems like their grandchildren never thank them or do any favors in their return. Because of this, I thank her for everything she does for me and show my gratitude back.

But, now, I have learned that I better talk to her when I am privileged enough to get a chance. I better take every little second I have to spend with her, and talk to her about anything no matter if it is about politics that I do not understand. I better go talk to her instead of going to play with my cousins because you never know when she will pass away. She is a very healthy woman, but still you never know what can happen. The majority of my cousins are young, so they have a long life to live unlike my grandmother who is ninety-three, which is an old but yet impressive age.

I believe that teens, like myself, need to not take advantage of their family. Your family is by far, the most loveable people in the world. Teenagers need to take advantage of the quality time they have with their family and not use them for the necessities of life. They love you more than your classmates or friends cannot compare to that. I know that one day, when I am ninety-two, and have grandchildren, I hope they will take advantage of the time they have with me and not take me for advantage. I am looking forward to the day when I can relate to my grandmother and hopefully my grandchildren will take their time to react with me and not consider me as some old woman!