Dependable Family

Tyler - columbus, Ohio

Dependable Family

Life for me, growing up in my parents’ house, was comfortable. Despite all of the expected conflicts that arose from ignorance, misunderstandings and simple youthful mischief, the environment created by my parents was constructive and affable. It’s difficult, early on in life, to fully appreciate the importance of that blind support that one gets from so few people throughout life. Hearing: “If you ever need anything, just ask” was constant almost to the point of annoyance while growing up, but it wasn’t until I made my escape from their house that I realized, wow, they weren’t kidding!

A simple example of this is when I was stranded a good distance from my house. This was due to a newly found leisure activity of mine during the summer to go on long bike rides in the middle of the night. I’m aware that isn’t always the safest activity to partake in but the unbearable summer heat during the day was just making me too irritable. The consequences of that irritability could have arguably been a great deal less safe. On one particular night, around 10 miles away from home, I got a pinch flat and didn’t have a spare tube or even my cell phone for that matter. So, using a pay phone and the only number I could actually still remember, thanks to the convenience of cell phone address books, I called my parents somewhere around 2:00am on a Thursday night. Of course, they came and picked me up.

Though it may not have been to big of a deal, their willingness to come pick me up at such an inconvenient time really had an impression on me. Of course, there were multiple instances afterwards and prior that had a similar impression as well. Having dependable people in my life is very reassuring and helpful. So, maybe the next time my parents ask me to stop over and help out in the lawn or something, I’ll only complain a little bit.