Brett - St. Louis, Missouri
Themes: disability

I believe that autism isn’t just something negative like a mental illness but something that brightens others around it. I have a younger brother with autism, and it’s changed my life. My brother has taught me so much. Some people may look at someone who has a disability as weird, but I look at them and understand. They still want to be happy, to be a regular kid, and to get somewhere in life. My brother goes to a regular middle school and that is the best thing that has ever happened to him.

Living with him has given me more patience, helped me understand him. My brother is so smart and I believe autism or not he will still be happy and be somebody. I am so glad that he is my brother. I do wish he was normal and then I don’t. I do because I want the best for him and things can be hard to deal with at times. But then I don’t because I’ve learned so much and so has everyone else around him, and he can put a smile on your face so easily because he has a great sense of humor. I believe that autism isn’t quite a curse but a blessing.