Serving Well-Blended Smoothies

Krista - Corpus Christi, Texas

In my teen years, I have learned the importance of serving smoothies. Not just any smoothie, but a highly nutritious Jamba Juice smoothie. Upon employment at Jamba Juice, I discovered there was a detailed process for serving a fruit smoothie. I learned that each step had a valuable, specific purpose.

Step 1: Greet the customer with cheer. This can be a very tricky step because it is easy to be over-enthusiastic, causing the employee to come across as fake. Customers like to feel comfortable in their environment, so it is very important to find the balance between friendly and annoying. Along the same line, this step requires employees to shed their shyness and reach out to the customer.

Step 2: Prepare a healthy and delicious smoothie in a timely manner. This step is the heart of the whole process. The customer’s satisfaction hinges on the quality of the product, but he or she does not want to wait around for very long either! Now to make a smoothie, you must first pour the juice into the blender, then scoop the sherbet into the juice, dump in the fresh fruit and add the boost. A boost is a tasteless powder supplement added to the smoothie for nutrition. At this point, the drink is ready to be blended. The employee has trained relentlessly for this very moment, because he or she must use good judgment in knowing when the smoothie is perfectly blended. Too much time on the blender can make the smoothie runny, while too little time can leave it chunky. A well-blended smoothie should have a soft and smooth texture to it.

Step 3: Handing the customer the smoothie. When the employee hands the finished product to the waiting customer, it is vital that the employee flash a genuine smile and bid the customer a good day. When the employee hands the customer the order, the employee is not just serving a smoothie. He or she is extending a kindness, which is a rare thing to find in the busy and hectic world we live in. For when the customers step inside the brightly-lit, citrus-smelling shop, they are, for only a few moments, escaping life’s chaos.

While serving smoothies at Jamba Juice, I am temporarily allowed into strangers’ lives and am given the opportunity to put a glimmer of joy in their day. My role in the smoothie process, is to humble myself by serving someone else, and to take the time and effort to ensure their satisfaction. This process has come to guide me through life, because serving does not have to end when the Jamba Juice doors lock. The energy-boosting enthusiasm, the fresh and friendly smile, the effort of doing something painstaking and worthwhile for another person, can be carried out of my workplace and can reach far beyond the Jamba Juice clientele. As a matter of fact, it should. So as I walk through the halls of my high school and meet the gazes of unknown peers, I believe in serving well-blended smoothies.