Smiles =)

Abbie - olathe, Kansas

To assume a facial expression indicating pleasure or favor characterized by an upturning of the corners of the mouth. To smile. A smile is the universal symbol of friendliness, tending to bring happiness along with it. Greeting somebody in the hall. Saying “Cheese” for a picture. Welcoming somebody into your house. I believe in the joy that smiles bring. I believe in smiles.

It was just one of those days. The kind of day where seemingly everything goes wrong, and absolutely nothing falls in your favor. When an unfortunate event leads to more unfortunate events and the cycle continues from dawn until dusk. A couple of months ago, this type of day was reality. The night before, I was exhausted from musical practice and a late night spent studying and subconsciously decided it would be more beneficial to go to sleep instead of cleaning my room, which my mom had told me to do. The following morning, I woke up to the sound of nothing… which was unusual considering the pre-set alarm on my bedside table. I was going to be late to school for the first time in a long time. On top of that, my mom noticed that my room had not been cleaned up, much to her dismay. So, now I’m late and I also have some type of punishment waiting for when I get home from school. I speed to school, still with no hope of getting there on time. I grab a pass from the office and run to math class. Schenk passes back the tests from last week that I thought I did really well on… but not so fast. I ended up getting a very poor grade, which would garner even more punishment at home. As you can see, this was an unfavorable day, to say the least. Feeling pretty down, I walked out of class, heading toward my locker. Navigating through the hall, I made eye contact with a random underclassman girl who I’ve never seen before. She gave me a great big smile that appeared like she cared. This random act of kindness made me feel so much better, and reminded me to stay positive.

Smiling has a tremendous effect on people, whether they realize or not. I believe in the joy that smiles bring. I believe in smiles.