Life Changing Experiences

Andrew - Fremont, Ohio
Themes: change

Some people are afraid of falling hard and not being able to get back up. Despite knowing that everything can’t go as planned, we can always hope for the best. I know that the best sometimes can be too ideal and unrealistic. What true goodness can come out of everything going well? What will we have learned?

I hope for a great learning experience that can really change how I think. I am not afraid to hit the pavement when things don’t go as desired. I take the results without too much complaint, despite how hard they may be to deal with. There is a lot to be said for what one can go through during one’s life span, but in the past months I feel I have gone through some of the worst times in my life. I believe that everything happens for the better, with the purpose of learning from experience.

In the past few months I have gone through the monumental changes of living own at my first job and also my first year of college. I can put both as the two greatest prolonged experiences in my life, as they will each alternate span in the next four years of my life. Throughout these times I have experienced some of the greatest people I’ve ever met, and also some of the lowest points in my life. While I am still with the ones at college, departing with the ones from work was the hardest as I can no longer see them in person. I remember crying twice over knowing that I wouldn’t be able to see two international friends for a really long time. The experience taught me to view friendship in a different light, and maybe just recognize how valuable it can get to. This great experience made me thankful to have met such amazing people that really impacted my life.

While that is just one example of how experiences can change you as a person, my first semester of college has strongly impacted me just as much. I got off to a pretty slow start with college and fell behind quickly. I never felt that I would be able to fully regain control and that led me to start hitting depressive lows. The crying I would encounter was much different than the departure from my friends at work. Stress was the major source of it all, that I couldn’t deal with. I often would lay in my bed just crying because I wanted to quit everything and start over fresh. I was rarely in an overall good mood, and usually was bothered by something I had to do. Weeks passed and the load got much more manageable to where I was getting some things out of my system. Beyond the depressive lows, I am enjoying myself here very much as it probably is going to be one of the best experiences of my life.

When I look back on how I was through work and college, I wouldn’t change a thing. I believe these experiences were some of the most meaningful that have occurred in my life. It’s odd having them back to back, but experiencing what I did was probably the best thing that could have happened to me. Life is so short that I am willing to try just about anything and accept what becomes of it. For all we know we only live once, and being open to all kinds of emotion shouldn’t set us back for anything. I’ve always enjoyed personal reflection and just what exactly what everything means. Living is all about having life-changing experiences to reflect on and to observe how they affected us.