I Believe In Belief

Yekaterina - Plano, Texas
Themes: hope

I believe in a lot, for I’m a believing person… But one of the things I believe in most is the very sense of belief.

Belief is so powerful, so enduring. It’s what you have when you wake up. It’s what you hold close to your heart throughout the day, unwilling to let go of it, being afraid you’d forget the definition of yourself with time. It’s what you listen to, like a baby to a soothing lullaby, before you gradually fall asleep, having it provide you with a certain sensation of unmatched tranquility, unable to be found in any other thing in the world, whether tangible or immaterial.

Belief is power. When you believe, so much is possible, so many doors are open, and endless potential is at hand. Belief in recovery has gotten many off the hospital beds. Belief in a higher being has influenced many to develop morals and live the life they’ve been given to its full aptitude. When you believe, you tell yourself you can do it, and you achieve your goal just because your mind sees no other way, no loophole of uncertainty that a doubt, implanted by an unbelieving soul, could possibly feed on.

Belief is endurance, because this mindset that a person obtains when they’re certain something will happen will push the person forwards when they’re running almost on empty. Belief, I believe, is a vital aspect of one’s personality. If someone does not believe, if someone does not have beliefs, what does one have?

This power of belief is a generous one, for it is contagious. I remember that when I was hospitalized for a very long time, I saw no chance of recovery, and quite frankly, I had no will to believe in something I never even slightly foresaw taking place. I just felt doubtful and afraid, truly trusting my negative thoughts that told me my struggle would never end.

But there was something else that I had not foreseen.

Others believed.

Words cannot do the feeling justice; that sense of support, concern, and compassion pushed me to believe in myself more than anything before ever had. This ineffable feeling was, beyond any doubt, like a beacon of light in the darkness of my troubles, a path scattered with fireflies that reminded me to remember to grab hold of one of the things I once most heartily believed in – belief.

I might be nothing extraordinary.

I’m just as unique as the next person.

But I’m different in one way.

I grabbed hold of something a year ago.

I have something special.

I have belief.

And I believe.