America is Selfish

Amelia - McKinney, Texas
Themes: humanism

I believe that everybody is selfish. You can be Angelina Jolie buy babies from all over the world, or be a granola munching tree hugger wanting to spread world peace; I don’t care you are selfish, point blank.

If someone you know gets sick or hurt, yeah you will go see how they are; bring them some chicken noodle soup and spend time with them, but once you get a call or text about something that will benefit you, you will be out of there in a heartbeat. I mean why even go and see them, if you know for a fact that you will up and leave in an hour.

I’m going to be honest, I am selfish. I care about my friends but I care about myself more. I spend hours and hours just looking at myself, thinking about how I can make myself look cuter, or how my hair will look if I died it golden rod or platinum blonde? Come on, you know that you spend hours getting ready to go out; having your date waiting in the living room.

Ladies we are all guilty of this one, you know how you are on the phone with one of your friends, and they are telling you about their problems and how they don’t know how to fix it and blah, blah, blah. You know that you aren’t listening to them. You are probably just holding the phone to your ear, nodding your head, and looking at your nails. Guys, your buddy is talking to you about how his girlfriend just dumped him and you are thinking, ‘Finally, now I have a shot at her.’ I mean seriously, American life is selfish.

Selfishness is what is corrupting American society because, why care for someone else, when you are told as you were growing that you are the most important person in your life and everybody’s around you? That to me is selfish within itself. How do we, as people, have friends, relationships, or even get married?

I believe that the economy is what it is today because one man or woman was so caught with looking at themselves in the mirror, instead of what was going on in our country. They were spending so much time caring about themselves and their problems, which they didn’t care about the economy.

I believe that if each person in America, everyday, go out and sit down with someone, and just listen to what they are saying, and I mean genuinely listen, we will be less selfish in 2010.

That is what I believe,