Friendship Never Fails

Lauren - Mckinney, Texas

Friendship Never Fails…

I believe in the power of friendship. It’s truthful, selfless, and beautiful. There’s an expression, “friends may come and go, but family will always remain,” or something along those lines. However, I believe if friendship is solid enough, like love it can last forever.

It seems like whenever I find a friend (and for me that’s hard to come by) they always move away and we lose touch. It happened once again last year. Even though we’d only been friends for two years, the connection I had with her was stronger than with any friend I’d ever had. She was one of those friends who stood by me, comforted me, and didn’t judge me for my flaws. She became my other half. However, there was a day that dissolved all of our happiness.

When she told me the news of her move, the light that had been inside of me was shut off. I was in darkness, and I felt lost, desperate. No, this wasn’t happening, it could not happen. But it did, and on that day as we said our final goodbyes through the tears, I found myself feeling very alone.

The first couple of months were ok, but when school started back, I felt miserable. I’d walk down the halls and eye everyone with envy as they laughed with their friends or sat together at lunch or hugged goodbye at the end of the day. I had no one like that, and I became so angry at the world. But she said to stay positive and she would always be there to talk. I took the advice and trudged on.

So, here I am, five months later, still separated from the one person that understands me. But you know what? Things aren’t so bad anymore. She’s just a phone call or text away.

I know our friendship will last, like any if you make the effort. We’re still as close as we were when she left. Friendship can be fickle, or the most important element in your life. I believe friendship can stay with you as long as you welcome it.