My Grand Mothers lesson

stephan - port jefferson, New York

When I was five, my grandma got very sick. Everyone I knew came to see her; she had to stay in bed for a couple of days if she wanted to feel better, I was worried.

She wouldn’t stay in bed. With big dark eyes, she started for the living room. The next thing I knew she was cleaning. Everyone was worrying about her and telling her to stay in bed, but she did not listen. She went to the doctor the day after that. When she got to the doctor’s office, the doctor said that she seriously needed to take a break. She agreed with the doctor and left. The minute she got home she started to do her everyday chores. I told her to take a break like the doctor said. She smiled and turned away. Worried and left out I thought I was what was bothering her. So I did one thing that I know that always get her to talk. I went by her side and then I asked her if she was ok. She told me that she was sick, and she would get better. Then she said, “You know something, when you’re sick, don’t stay in bed. Continue with your life even if you think you can’t. Because staying and not doing anything will make you feel worst than you actually are.”

She was right. Every time I feel sick I think about what she told me and I do exactly what she said. It works. I believe that what my grandmother tried to say is enjoy life, even when it feels like you can’t. Don’t let an event, sickness or other things make you stop doing the usual things in life.

A few days later my grandma felt better. I was happy to see my old grandma with a big smile on her face again. We all went back to living our regular lives. My grandma taught me a lot of things. She has always been there for me. I thank her for her support and her teachings.

I look up to you Grandma.