Money Well Spent

Jacob - Westlake, Ohio

Money Well Spent

Though college can have a party atmosphere, it is truly in a student’s best interest to attend. It can be very expensive depending on where you attend as well as very challenging. According to College Board, the gap in earning potential between a high school diploma and a college degree is around $800,000. This means the $60,000 you may spend to attend college over four years will end up turning into around $800,000 throughout a lifetime. I believe college is truly an investment and is definitely worth the cost to attend.

Not only will college make me more money over the course of my lifetime, but it will also give me skills that will be useful for the rest of my life. These skills may include time and money management as well as speaking skills and hard work. In future jobs, I will be a better speaker, will work harder and will know how to manage my time on big projects due to the experience I will attain in college. Now days, you cannot get a very good job without a college degree because many more students are attending college and getting higher paying jobs. Many businesses like to see any sort of college degree even if it isn’t in the specific field of the job you are applying for just because they know you will have some of the skills mentioned above including time management. My thinking is if you can manage your time in college, you can manage it on a presentation or project for any business.

As a senior, I look forward to attending college next year and I look forward to using and perfecting life skills that I will need as an adult after college and for the rest of my life. When choosing where I will attend college next year, cost is definitely a factor not only for me but for almost all students that will be attending college in the future. Though costs of colleges have gone up recently, one of the private schools that I have applied to has already lowered tuition for me by nearly $12,000 per year. This doesn’t even include scholarships that I will apply for that may lower my tuition even more. By colleges doing this, they are enticing students to go to college and this is good because students will not be turned away from college by high tuition costs. Overall, this should help out our country because many more people will be getting better jobs that pay more. In turn our economy will rise since people have more money to spend. Like I said before, going to college is truly an investment and will make you more money over your lifetime.