No Time for Grudges

Emma - Westlake, Ohio
Themes: forgiveness

No time for Grudges

I believe in second chances and being forgiving.

How many times do you remember a friend letting you down or getting you in trouble? Hopefully there aren’t too many times but there are always a few. I know I’ve done some things I shouldn’t have and I can remember a few times where I wasn’t too pleased with my friends.

A classic example, and one that I now laugh about, is a mishap that occurred in second grade. A friend of mine had a “brilliant” idea that we should switch things up. We decided that we would switch seats, switch workbooks, switch homework, everything. We even switched names and somehow the teacher didn’t catch on. My friend thought we could get away with it because we had the same initials and both had brown hair, at least that’s how she convinced me to go along with it. I was easily manipulated at a younger age.

We pulled it off for about a week, until my parents found out about it and called my friend’s mother. We got in trouble, but I was in deeper than she was, and it wasn’t even my idea. I had to do all the work over, write a letter to the principle and apologize to my teacher. My friend only had to make up the work.

I think that the second grade fiasco is enough to hold something of a grudge against my friend for a long while, but I was young and I did go along with it. I have long forgiven my friend and we laugh about the stunt every now and then. From that time on, many of my friends have made me angry, but I have forgiven them and still trust them… with most things anyways.

This principle doesn’t just apply to friendships though. I believe that forgiving and giving another chance can also solve some global issues. Take, for example, the conflict between The U.S. and Japan during World War II. Japan bombed America, bringing them into the war and killing many innocent Americans. Then to end the war the U.S. bombed Japan killing many innocent Japanese. This definitely has the makings of a conflict that could carry on for many years, but it hasn’t. America and Japan have come to terms with what happened, forgiven each other for the most part, and gone on to make a healthy trade relationship with each other. If one had never forgiven the other, many of the technologies and other products that exist today would not be as advanced. If other nations at war today could make compromises, forgive each other, and not hold grudges, the world would be a more peaceful place.

So, I believe in forgiving, forgetting, and not holding grudges. No matter how old the conflict is, try to put aside the differences and forgive each other so that there will be less pain, sadness, and suffering and more peace, joy, and prosperity.