Life Lessons

Lanie - Westlake, Ohio

I try not to think back on my life because only the bad comes up. Like when I fell for that boy and got my heart crushed, or couldn’t keep my mouth shut and I ended up hurting the people I loved. But now that I’m a little older and a little wiser I’ve learned that there are no mistakes in life, just lessons to be learned. This I believe is the key to moving on with life.

When I was starting out in high school I got mixed up with the wrong people and did the wrong things – snuck out of the house, vandalized property, got arrested; just an all out rebel. After I got arrested my parents finally realized they couldn’t just brush this under the rug anymore, they couldn’t understand why I was doing these things and frankly neither could I, so they sent me to counseling and then my counselor made me go to group counseling. Talking there about what I had done, why I was being so reckless with my life, with others in the same situation made me realize that I was acting out because I was in desperate need for attention from my parents. I understand now that I was set in this path to meet all those wonderful people who helped me learn that, yeah I did make mistakes, but now it was my turn to learn from them and make myself a better person because of them. It wasn’t only me who saw things from a different light though, my parents actually listened when I spoke and it put my father and me into a better relationship. I truly believe I’ve grown from my past and its’ made me the strong individual I am today.

It doesn’t always hit home the first time you do something wrong. Sometimes it takes awhile to finally learn from your past, but in time you’ll get the hang of it. Learning from your mistakes isn’t an easy process but it will eventually pay off and that’s why I believe there are only lessons in life to be learned.