Hard Work Pays Off

Matt - Westlake, Ohio
Themes: work

At the top of every company, government, or any type of job is a set of people who have done very well for themselves. If you look at the work ethics for all of these people, one overwhelmingly evident attribute will be shown throughout all of them, a good work ethic with a self driven, hard working attitude.

I believe that hard work pays off. Since I was in grade school my father has always told me that. I have tried to remember these words when I am doing a job from school, to work, to sports I have lived by these words. I have always been a hard worker and personally, I believe that my hard work has paid off as success in school, work and sports.

I am a meticulous worker, a perfectionist; I always try to make sure I have done my best on everything I turn in, from a test to a worksheet. This hard work can sometimes impede my work, slowing me down, and even stopping me in my tracks when I come to a part I am unsure of or a sentence that I don’t like.

Unlike many people I know who may try to fly through a test or be lazy about working on a talent, I am thorough. I set goals for myself, and if those goals are not reached, I will continue until they are.

Maybe it was the way I was brought up, to always take credit for your work, good or bad, or maybe it was the schools and teams I was on, where if you didn’t work hard you were destined to fail. Either way, my hard work has shaped my actions, personality, and outlook on life.

When working out for one of my favorite things, baseball, I always put in the extra effort to try to improve my skills. Though I may not be the most gifted athlete, I make do with the talent that I was born with, and build on that with hours of practice. One quote that I always keep in mind when working on anything is, “Champions are those who put in the effort when nobody is looking”. I believe that hard work has shaped me into the baseball player I am today. This quote guides me though all aspects of life and exemplifies my hard-working attitude

I am not trying to say that those who are different than me are wrong, they’re not. I believe that my hard work in life has paid off, from school, to sports, to life in general. Hard work is a great virtue to live by. Some people are brought up to believe in hard work, others grow into hard workers, but life experience has shown me that hard work really does pay off.