cliches

Brad - birch run, Michigan

I believe in the power of clichés. I do not think they are necessarily a bad thing, everyone would not know of them if they did not once hold a strong or clever message. I understand why we may grow tired of certain phrases which have become overused; sometimes their original meanings are lost as a result of this. I think branding a phrase as a cliché is becoming just that, a cliché. Like a song that is overplayed on the radio, it may grow tiring but it’s still a good song. A prime example of this is the expression “you can’t have your cake and eat it too”. I am sure I am not the only one who has had trouble understanding this expression. What good is a cake if I cannot eat it? Recently I have come to realize the true meaning of this saying; once ones cake is eaten it is no longer there to be admired and looked at. So you can’t deplete a resource and still have it to enjoy. A real life example of this is when I got this beautiful birthday cake, but then I ate it.

Another common cliché, “it’s raining cats and dogs”, originates from houses that had thatched roofs with no wood underneath. Animals would live in the roof for warmth and when it rained the roof became slippery and the animals tended to slip off. I find it interesting how expressions such as these can still be used on a day to day basis and yet their meaning is not known to most people.