Gifts

Molly - Columbus, Ohio

I believe that every person has something to give, whether it is advice, support, help, kindness, or simply a hug.

I was walking home from school one day, thinking about school and how it was…well, school. And in a matter of two minutes, three people waved to me. I had to pause and notice the three subtle actions, instead of moving on with my day and leaving no room in my thoughts for them. Although it was merely a flick of the wrist, it made me feel happy, loved, and part of a community. Two of the people who waved to me were neighbors and one was my old bus driver. The last time I actually rode the bus was four years ago but we continue to wave each day. I feel like I still know her because we never turn our heads down las if we didn’t see each other, but openly wave. It’s almost like a routine now, me on the walk from school and her in her yellow school bus…waving. And every time I feel happy afterwards because we acknowledged each other’s “being” and gave each other our compassion.

Even that one person who you’re sure doesn’t have anything to give, does. Take the bully at school, he’s mean at school but at home he may be the father to his siblings. And even more challenging is taking someone like Saddam Hussein who was cruel enough to kill his own people but was probably loving to his family.

Have you ever know a person who does something to make your day? The truth is, both people feel happy when that kindness is given and received. It’s like opening presents, you are as excited to give one as you are to open one. All my life I have given and received. My dad taught me how to ride a horse and it has been my hobby since. He gave me his knowledge and his time, and with it, I found a passion. My family teaches each other many things like tap dancing, playing instruments, cooking and skiing. In teaching each other, we give and receive.

We don’t hear about the good in the world as much as the horror and sadness. Every morning the newspaper describes the pain in Iraq and very seldom do we hear about how happy a child was at his last day of school. Then on our way to work we flip the radio on to hear that people are losing their home because of the economic downfall. What we hear in the news make the world seem like a battlefield, when often it is a safe haven.

So when you walk home from school or down the street today, wave to those around you. Especially to those who look the most unapproachable, because they, too, have something to give. This way, we broadcast the good in each day.