Gifts and Burdens

Govind - St. Louis, Missouri

What we are taught in our lives as Americans is that we could step over our boundaries, whether it’s reaching the top, from the dregs of society or a personal disability. But I believe we should also accept who we are and what we have. Each person is unique, having gifts, or burdens. For instance, I have a learning disability and am partially deaf. I am often misunderstood, and often see the blackboard, not able to hear what the teacher is saying or, even if I could hear, not understand the topic at hand. Often, I am alone in making mistakes, these are my burdens.

Yet I do have gifts. I am reliant on sight, taking a love for reading and being a focused observer. And I have my friends and family to help me understand one thing or the other, in school and beyond. With this I am able to endure my troubles. So as I have my strengths, as well as shortcomings. I see this in everybody. No one have everything bad or good, in every view of life. A gifted prodigy would have people expecting great things from him and, often, alone. In contrast some other individuals may not have great intelligence or wealth, but have strong bonds of friendship, what truly matters.

Some things may change, we gain one thing, or we lose another, in life. This marks who we are, and to disregard it, I believe would mean to lose one’s self. We obviously cannot ignore our burdens, or the abilities we value. There is a balance, in good and bad things. When I think of myself, with gifts and burdens, I do not truly hate myself, nor do I think what I do is perfect. I wouldn’t have it any other way.