If you don’t like something change it.

Natalie - Newark, Ohio

When I started my first year of high school, I immediately hated it. I went through my first year missing twenty two days of school mostly because I didn’t like being there. Then sophomore year rolled around and I decided I was not going to fall into the same path again. So I went to my counselor and talked to him about ways to get out of that high school the quickest. He told me about different ways I could get out of there without dropping out. He told me I could take extra classes to graduate early but my parents didn’t like that idea. He also told me about taking classes online through a program called computer learning. I didn’t like that idea because I’m a people person. I was ready to give up. He told me there was one more option. I could go to a technical school. He said I would be able to take a program that started me on my path to my career. I immediately loved the idea so I got more information to take home and talk to my parents about the idea. My parents loved the idea and the technical school had the exact program I wanted to do. So I went back to my counselor to find out how I could start going there next year. He said I would have to wait till later in the year to go visit it to find out more. When we finally went to visit it my first thought was “oh my god it’s huge.” Once we got to going around it though it wasn’t so bad. You had so much to choose from. I fell in love with the early childhood education program. When we finally got back to the high I went straight to see my counselor. He gave me an application. I could not wait for the end of the day so I could go home and get my parents to help me fill out the application for it. Once I got home we filled out the papers and I couldn’t wait for the next day. I had to wait for four or five months before I could get the results. After I found out the answer I knew it was worth the waiting. I got in. I was so happy that I called all my friends and found out most of them got in too. Once we started there we all noticed something. The students there are all nice and responsible. So as the year progressed I noticed that we all became nicer and more responsible also. At the end of the year we all looked back and realized just how much coming to a technical school changed how we thought about our life and how we act and we were all happy to go there and didn’t want it to end.