samantha - sudbury, Massachusetts
Themes: hope

Always Keep Your Head Up

I believe that you should always keep a positive attitude and your head up. Number one No one likes to be around a “Debbie Downer”. Number two good things will happen. This past year was a true test of having to stay positive. I was given the news by my parents that my dad has stage three metastasized prostate cancer; this means that it has gotten into his bones and he will have cancer for the rest of his life, which will be longer if the chemo works. This news was even harder to deal with because three months earlier my parents had separated. I now live with my mom so I don’t see my dad every day. This makes when I see him getting weaker much harder because he changes in appearance everyday, but since I don’t see him that often the change seems drastic. Keeping my attitude up became even more difficult when my mom told me we have to sell our house due to financial issues. I have lived in that house my whole life. I have my address memorized and the impulse to write “22 Laurel Circle” on the return address of all envelopes I address. Moving would impede me from doing what’s ordinary to me. Once again to add to my growing list of unfortunate events my dad’s chemo stopped working on the cancer. I still kept my head up, even though everything that was concrete in my life was changing and my whole routine was out of tune.

In early June I found out that the University of Michigan school of Art and Design wanted me, and was guaranteeing me a spot in the class of 2013. I believe that if I hadn’t kept my head up I wouldn’t have been given that opportunity. During my interview I had talked to the dean about how I wanted to be a happy person and that I didn’t want to change how I act because of sad things around me. Besides as I said before no one wants to be with a “Debbie Downer”. This amazing event made everyone in my family so happy, which was a big deal because no one had been for months. Being accepted to a college before you even start your senior year is an incredible privilege, and I believe I was given that privilege because I never let go of hope. No matter how bad things are getting never let go of hope, because good things are just around the corner.