Capture it, Remember It, Live It

Joshua - Seffner, Florida
Themes: carpe diem

It was six a.m. when I woke up one morning with a sharp glare beaming through my window into my sensitive eyes. I sat on the edge of my bed, rubbing my aching head, trying to get yesterdays heartbreak out of the way, and thought to myself, where has my life gone? I was eighteen years old, and my childhood had flown by. I could not remember what my life was like when I was three or even the past week. Bits and pieces of my life come into view, but vaguely. I focus too much on my thoughts rather than capturing every ounce of my life.

Later that day I had to watch my baby cousin Ashton, who was only thirteen months old; he has gorgeous blue eyes and a cowlick that gives him a natural mo-hawk. He ran up to me and slapped my leg with a loud giggle and a smile wider than the Pacific Ocean; I responded with a frightful jump because he had just wakened me from a dreadful daydream about my past relationship. It was almost as if he knew I was not paying attention to him. I leaned forward in the black chair and engaged myself in his play. While I was watching him, I took interest in his actions. The kid easily laughed, especially when I tilted my face and blew out my cheeks to look like a monkey. I would have never laugh at something like that. He even allowed himself to cry when he attempted to walk, but his legs gave out to make him tumble over. I would have held my emotions in because I was too worried about what people might think of me. He was also extremely curious and caught every detail around the room. He touched each and every colored Lego block intently, study and observe it, and then tilted his head slightly to the right and threw the block at me. As a result of my lack of attention, I was hit hard in the head with the block. He would take anything and have fun with it. There was never a dull moment for Ashton. His mind is young, and has little thoughts about the past and the future; therefore, he lives in the present, the current moment. Focusing on each moment gives him the ability to laugh easier and live life to the fullest, or even dodge lego blocks.

It was at that point in time, when I sat back in the black leather chair next to Ashton, with my arms behind my head and thought about that boy next to me. It came to me that I would have attained more of my life’s memories if I was awake, and not pondering about past failures. Ashton and I then decided to conclude our evening by transforming a room that had nothing to do, into an extraordinary room with an enormous mess of toy cars, Legos, and stuffed animals. I will never forget the first day of my life that I was awake. Noticing every detail in life and knowing that there is never an ordinary moment allows enjoyment to enter my life. This I believe.