What Means the Most

Lia - Groton, Massachusetts

“Can’t you wait until we board the plane?” my mom asked me as her eyes widened with aggravation. I quickly shook my head, throat dry and eager for something to quench my thirst. “Alright, I’ll go buy you a water.” As she turned and dashed down the busy airport, everyone on our flight began to line up, anxiously waiting to board. I asked myself how I had managed not to drink anything since my soccer game that was three hours before.

Just as I was about to hand my ticket to the attendant and walk down the corridor towards the plane, my mom returned empty-handed. “Where’s my water?” I asked, flustered and disappointed. She explained how she had had the water in her hand, yet didn’t have enough time to wait in line. As I stood there thinking that I was probably going to die of thirst, a fine-looking businessman wearing a long tan dress coat and expensive Bose headphones tapped my mother on the shoulder. Unexpectedly, he held out a beautiful ice-cold Poland Spring water bottle and smiled. My jaw dropped in amazement. I was beaming with joy and then smacking my lips, just as a dog would for a luscious and juicy steak.

How could a gesture so small move me so much? At this thought, I answered my own question. I realized that there is not enough kindness and generosity around us. Like this bighearted businessman, we all need to look around us to create and find ways to be kind. The kind actions that people don’t expect fill their hearts with joy and bring smiles to their faces. The man’s simple act of noticing my mother and buying her a water was enough to make my day. Kind actions are contagious. They lift people up and spark something inside of them that makes them want to make others feel as touched as they do. Plain and effortless acts of kindness, like sharing a smile, starting a conversation, or buying a stranger a water can change the way people look at life. Our lives consist of billions of tiny actions, associating and bringing people together. They may not be the biggest or the most important happenings in our lives at the time. However, looking back at the moment in the airport, I realize that these actions are something that we never forget. The little things are what mean the most. This I Believe.