I Believe in Friendship

Robert - Pepperell, Massachusetts

I believe in friendship. I love my friends and couldn’t imagine my laugh without them. Most people feel the same way as me. As we grow we watch our friends change, leave and make new ones. Our friends our like us or what we wish we could be. Some people have similar friends or none are like one another. It is our friends who make us who we are.

In middle school is when are friend become an impact on our lives. We begin to have to choose which road to take in life. It is not just us who makes this decision in life; our friends help us make this decision. As we are influenced by drugs and alcohol it is our friends who help us make the decision to go towards them or walk away. These are decisions that we cannot make alone.

In high school these roads become more evident and our ability to make the decision on which road to take becomes even more difficult. Without good friends the dark road looks like the better road. With friends the dark road seems to disappear. If your friends talk to you, you decide together which way is the right way. This decision is not a decision anyone should make alone.

I never knew how hard this decision was going to be for me. My mom raised me as a straight edge child; no drugs, drinking or any negative influence. In high school there was nothing anyone could do without me being exposed to drugs and alcohol. As a freshman I heard about parties from seniors and I didn’t think anything of it. It wasn’t until sophomore year when I really ad to choose which road in life I was going to take. It was winter term of sophomore year and I was invited to my first “real” party. The party was Saturday night and I was hanging out with my friend Steve the night before. “So man do you think I should go?” I asked my friend Steve. Steve looked at me and said, “It’s your decision man but just don’t go and screw up your life, you know what’s going to happen there, just be careful.” I still remember when he told me that. We were sitting on the couch in my living room watching TV. Nothing effected my decision on which road I was going to take like that conversation.

The weekend when I didn’t go to that party was probably the changing point in my life. I can’t say I was going in the wrong direction, but I certainly wasn’t going the right way either. That conversation with my friend Steve made me believe in friendship. Friendship kept me out of trouble and on the right path in life and I can thank Steve for that.