A $7,000 Lesson on Karma

Elizabeth - Nashua, New Hampshire

We’ve all heard the saying “what goes around comes around”. This phrase can be used to comfort or warn people. It means karma; whatever you do to someone will come back to you, whether good or bad. I believe in karma, and I have first hand experience with it.

I had had my license for a month, and I loved my new freedom. I was a new driver, fresh out of Driver’s Ed, and I already managed to forget everything I had learned. Parking was the hardest concept, especially in my big car, a 2003 forest green Ford Escape. I had my first bad driving experience one Saturday night in January, in an Applebee’s parking lot. The lot was dark and crowded with cars. I finally found a tight spot between two badly parked cars. The car to my left was over the line; the other car was diagonal. I tried to pull into the tiny spot, but I overshot it. My car hit the gold Buick to my left with a thud, leaving a dent. The car was not destroyed, but the dent was noticeable. Almost on the verge of tears, I put my car in reverse and backed away quickly. I picked a spot in the back of the parking lot, far away from any cars. Then I pushed the accident to the back of my mind and tried to forget about it.

A few weeks later, the accident was out of my mind and I was worrying about something new: the fact that I would be late for school because I was stuck behind a school bus. The school bus stopped at every single driveway, which stretched the seven-minute drive to fifteen agonizing minutes. I was behind two other unlucky cars; the car in front of me was a beautiful silver BMW SUV. Finally, the slow school bus inched forward, and the two cars in front of me accelerated. All of a sudden, the BMW hit the brakes. I panicked, and in my confusion and panic I stomped on the gas instead of the brakes. My car flew into the back of the BMW and stopped, no longer able to go forward. My airbags came out, hitting me in the face and then deflating calmly.

The BMW had a small dent on the bumper, and my car was wrecked. Karma. The front was crumpled, the airbags were deployed, and there was a large puddle of anti-freeze underneath my car. The total cost for the damages were about $7,000.

I believe I got into the second accident because I was a careless driver, but I also believe it was karma. I hadn’t reported my first accident, which was minor compared to the second. If I had reported the first, I might not have gotten into the second. I believe that we create our own karma, and it is only right that what goes around comes around.