Doubt

Jim - groton, Massachusetts
Themes: question

I believe in the necessity too doubt. I feel to often in today’s society and even more so through out the course if history the average man has had too much faith in, leaders, the media, and the church. This very act of blind faith could very well be mans down fall. This is a very cynical point of view yet valid none the less. Just look at your history books. Hitler was able to convince an entire country to follow him in his quest to exterminate an entire race. If only someone had stood up and said, “Wait, this doesn’t sound right.” Doubt doesn’t have too occur on such a large scale though. The truth is anytime you are taught an opinion you should consider both sides of the argument and choose for yourself if you agree. Doubt doesn’t mean being disrespectful, just simply realizing that not everything you learn, or are told is correct. If a teacher tells you that Reagan is a terrible leader, don’t just assume it’s true, that creates ignorance, hear out his or her argument, then the apposing one, and then choose for yourself.

Like many as a young lad I sided with the political views of the parent that I preferred, and in my younger years that was my mother, who during that attacks of 911, believed that president Bush would be able to once again restore peace to our country. Because of her I had lot’s of faith in our government, but after I saw all the horrendous errors they made, I taught me that my parents could be wrong and also that our government could be wrong, and if they could be wrong anyone could be wrong, thus the importance of doubt arose in my life.

I believe if everyone doubted the majority of things they were told, taught, or heard, the world would be a much more peaceful, and intellectual place, this doesn’t mean disagree, often what you hear is correct, if the source such as a good teacher is credible, it may not always be necessary, but the truth is the media, the church, or anyone in a position of power usually is trying to sway you to follow there cause for one reason or another, and this means you need to realize not everything you hear is true.