If you wait it may be too late

stella - newark, Ohio

For me as a child, not knowing who my father was very hard. When I was about fifteen years old I had this great opportunity. I was going to be able to meet my father. I wanted to know him and see the man who took part in creating me. Why this person doesn’t want anything to do with me and my life, I do not know why. In my mind I am wondering, what it was that I did wrong to deserve this man out of my life. Thinking that god has given me the chance of a lifetime to be able to reunite with someone that I have been longing to get to know. I want him to know what I am becoming and what my goals and dreams are. Not knowing what will happen, if he will love me for me and want to see and take care of me, we set up a visit. We made it for the next day.

Today I will have to say is the biggest day of my life. As he walks slowly but with the sense of nervousness up the sidewalk a smile comes along his face. I gave him a hug and we sat down and talked for a while. We talked about my life, School, and how I have been doing, and the activities that I am involved in. I feel that he knows that he needs to take the time to come and see me more often. He promises me that he will be there for me. Above anything he wants to see me graduate and make something of myself. I let him know that I will hold him to his promises. We say our goodbyes not knowing that I will never see him again.

Two years have passed and I have not heard or seen from him. I call and answer or it just rings busy.

It is October Twenty Eight I a at a football game cheering my team on. Then out of no where I get a call from my mom. She tells me that we have to leave right away something bad has happened. So I get my things and meet her at the front gate. That’s when she tells me the news. She tells me as tears fill her eyes that your father was killed. That someone has killed your father. They set him on fire and left him to burn to death. He tried to put himself out but did not have the strength. At that moment my heart felt like it had been ripped from my chest. I fainted, I just though that this was all a dream, that this could never happen to me.