Prejudgment

Katlyn - Covington, Washington

I was standing in the line at the security checkpoint at the airport. I looked towards the security guards and I noticed something about them that did not seem right. I saw that they were letting the average white people through, but were paying close attention to and double checking the people of color and the people that looked suspicious.

I believe that every person has the right to be treated as an equal human being and not judged on their appearance. Prejudging is happening everyday in all places. When you go to the grocery store you will judge everyone you walk by. While watching television you will most likely be prejudging the actors of your favorite show. This is how the idea of prejudging starts (from home) and spreads to the world.

Ever since September 11th, people think that everyone of Muslim decent or ones wearing turbans on their heads are terrorists. They are not. The news articles and television shows had “labeled” these people as a terrorist or member of a terrorist group.

I believe people should not be prejudged and should be given the chance to show you who they really are. Prejudgment of people is making our country a bad place. If you walked up to someone wearing baggy pants, a bandana, gold chains, and a big black shirt; you would instantly think he was a thug, I know I would. If you actually got to know him, he might just be a funny, smart guy who grew up in a neighborhood where they dressed that was to fit in.

I have to admit that I have prejudged people because of the way they look. Some people that I had judged turned out to be nice people and we became friends. Now that I know them on the inside I can say that they are nothing like you would think they would be by just looking at their appearance.

I remember the first day of middle school it was third period, P.E. class. Our teacher, Mr. Edwards, put us in rows in alphabetical order and I was the last one in the row. The girl that sat to the right of me got in trouble so many times that she was taken out of the class and I moved one spot up. The new girl I sat next to looked like all she thought about was sports. She was a good runner so I really never talked to her because I thought she would not like me. She was very loud and out-going and hung out with her group of friends. One day she started to talk to me and then everyday after that we talked the whole period. By the end of the year we were best friends and now we are inseparable.

This is why I believe that every person has the right to be treated as an equal human being and not judged on their appearance.