The Beat of My Own Drum

Mallory - Fair Oaks, California

I believe in marching to the beat of my own drum. For years, I have heard people telling me what to do and what to believe in. But, over the past year, I have become more independent and realized that my way of thinking isn’t necessarily wrong, just not the same as others and nothing is wrong with that. I take pride in being unique. My beliefs differ from many people I know. You could say I believe in not believing what other people say.

In my opinion, who is to say that a woman is to be with a man or you have to believe in God or you will burn in Hades. Some people say God is almighty and you must follow in his footsteps. Well, too bad for them because God does not exist to me. Over the past few years, I have been criticized by my fellow comrades for my way of thinking.

“ How can you not believe in God?”

“ You can only make babies if you have a man and a woman, so that means men are supposed to be with women.”

And again, who is to make that judgment? I believe that individuals make their own decisions. People have said that my beliefs in no God, same-sex marriage, and personal saviors are really pathetic, but I believe that it is pathetic to discriminate against someone just because they don’t share your beliefs.

Just the other day, I was watching the news and a story came on about house burglaries in Manteca. An elderly woman was interviewed because the teenage boys who were robbing homes had also robbed hers. She kept going on and on and on about how the boys were terrible people. She then said that the boys should beg for forgiveness from God or burn in Hades. I understand her beliefs, but I think that she should not have pushed her belief in God and forgiveness on an issue involving crime. It may not seem like the biggest deal, but it affected me.

My beliefs are important to me. They keep me going throughout the day. They let me challenge others on issues that I believe are vital for our country or completely unnecessary. My beliefs are helping me to transform into my true self. What I believe in keeps me open minded to different opinions. While some may be stubborn and act all “my way or the highway”, I welcome different opinions. There are millions of different beliefs out there and millions of people stubborn enough to think their beliefs are correct, but I believe my beliefs are correct for me, not for others.

I’m proud to say I believe in no God, same-sex marriage, and many other things. Along with my beliefs comes my independence from my friends and family. I believe in marching to the beat of my own drum.