One of my Strengths

Samantha - North Port, Florida

Being brought up the way I have, I was taught never to take the Lord’s name in vain. In other words: I am never to curse. So since I actually understood that, I never cursed a day in my life. Now I know that you don’t believe me but it’s so true, I haven’t. This is a very big accomplishment to me; it means so much to me that I haven’t done something foolish like that. There are many times where I could have, but I didn’t. Here is an example: I remember that one time I was riding home from school and there was a bunch of rowdy mischievous kids in the back of the bus. All they were doing was cursing the whole ride for no apparent reason, this kind of thing happens all the time. But, I just got so tired of hearing it all the time; it aggravated me I just felt like cursing each and every one of them out. However, before I did I remembered the commandment “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.” So I stopped myself before I could and tried to just enjoy the rest of the ride with my friends. Times like these always get me so close to doing what I don’t want to do. I always remind myself that this is one of the Lord’s commandments that I can help not breaking so I strive not to do it. The Lord gives me that determination and strength to stop myself the minute before I start to curse. But then there’s times when my friends, the ones closest to me, curse as well and it gets harder and harder to not follow what they do. I mean friends influence you in many ways and that’s just what they do so it’s much more difficult to resist than to resist people I barely know. But the Lord always pulls me through, and for that I thank him so much. To me not cursing is very important, it shows that whenever I speak you won’t hear a curse after every regular word. You won’t worry about me speaking inappropriately for no reason. Knowing that assures me that I’ll never slip up and say the wrong thing in front of my parents, siblings, teachers, and friends. I mean why waste breath saying a curse word between every word when you could just say what you’re saying. I am sure that everyone would understand what you’re trying to say. So I just figure that it’s better to just keep my vocabulary pure which will in turn keep my mind pure. This helps me to make pure judgments because cursing does lead up to other things that I’m trying to shield myself from. Therefore, if I don’t curse it’ll help me in the long run. So not taking the Lord’s name in vain is what I believe in, it’s what’s important to me.