Want it, work toward it, and it will happen

Vaclav - Middletown, New York

We are always told at a young age that if you work toward something you want then it will happen. If this is true my family then is living testament to this. I am the son of a refugee from Czech Republic during the cold war that arrived in America without a penny to his name with no knowledge of the English language and women from a family of nine in Columbia who came to America to study. My dad worked two jobs a day while my mom took care of the children and still worked as a part time hostess and waitress. My parents worked their way up from living in a small crowded apartment to owning their own business, house, and two children. I am a son of two people who have lived the American dream and now t is my turn to continue it.

There are many wrong ideas behind following you dreams. In school, children are often told ‘dream high and reach for the stars.” The two words missing in this statement however are hard and work. To many the concept of even thinking about hard work is stressful enough. No one wants to be told to work two jobs a day while having to take care of children however for many living in poverty or as new immigrants to this country this is simply a reality. Today many people refer to dreams as ideas that stay locked up in the back of their mind and will never happen. Many of us forget to put our dreams in a context that refers to the real world. Dreams are not hidden somewhere across the rainbow but rather by your true potential as a person.

One thing also not mentioned in reaching for the stars is the boost you need to obtain from the kindness of other humans in order to get there. Without the kindness of a lady in Vermont my dad would have had no-where to stay when he first came to this country. Without the kindness my grandparents on both sides of the family for taking us in when we were young, my mom and dad would have struggled greatly providing for us. What many people don’t realize is that many successful people today whether it is physically, financially, mentally, or whatever, got there through the kindness of others. There is no such thing as luck truthfully. Luck is simply proof that good deeds are contagious.

Those who thought up the phrase “dream and reach for the stars” should change it to “plan, work hard, accomplish, and never forget those who helped and sacrificed for you. As New Year approaches and people begin creating New Year resolutions I believe my goals will remain the same. As with any other year I will continue to work hard to get accepted into a great college, support my family, and one-day pass on my story to my son. This is what I believe.