Paul - Pflugerville, Texas

When I first sat down to write this essay I thought it was going to be a piece of cake, who doesn’t know what they believe, right, wrong. After great thought I found out I do not believe all the things I was taught to believe as I was growing up. I found that I actually believe in many different things, much of which is in complete contrast to my lessons as a child. I also find it hard to write this because I believe it may hurt some of the people that I love the most. However; I believe it is necessary to put this in writing so that my wife and children will know what it is that I truly believe or believed if I’m no longer living.

I believe in evolution, more specifically in the modern evolutionary synthesis. I believe though science mankind will eventually understand the process of evolutionary synthesis and with that knowledge mankind will be able to cure all natural and genetically accruing diseases and mankind will no longer die of these causes.

I believe in knowledge and that knowledge is endless. Some say that the more we learn the less we know. I believe that the more we learn the more we realize that there is so much more to learn. I believe it is through knowledge that mankind will be able to grow to extraordinary heights. I believe that the more knowledge I have it will change or confirmer the things I believe in.

I believe that there is good and bad in all things and with that understanding, mankind will work out its differences. I believe I must teach my children to be warriors for peace and love and that it is through their actions and the use of their words that they can change the world for the better; however I believe they must also learn to be able to physically defend themselves if needed. More importantly I believe I must teach my children to know the difference between good and bad, not so much as I see it but how they see it. I believe it is my responsibility to teach them what society believes is good and bad.

I believe in myself, I believe in my wife and children. I believe my family will always do what they feel is right and not purposely go out of their way to hurt others. I believe they should be free thinkers and not to blindly follow others, but rather go through life together with others.

I believe that the truth is only what we believe it to be and that truth is not the same as fact. I believe each of us is unique, and it is this uniqueness in each of us that mankind should understand and hold. I believe that once we die we are gone forever. It is through our offspring and the memories of others that we may exist forever.

I believe that mankind will become peaceful and end all their fighting; there will be no more wars. I believe this will come about through the written word and not with the use of military force. I believe that mankind will no longer need weapons of mass destruction.

I believe that the universe is endless and that there are an infinite number of planets such as earth with life forms very similar to mankind, some more advanced and some still in their early stages of development. I believe that mankind will someday travel to these distant planets and make peaceful contact with other life forms.

I believe all creatures large and small are to be respected. But most of all, it is mankind that I believe in most, so through my many thoughts, it is this I believe.