The Power To Make Yourself Happy

Hannah - Woodstock, Connecticut

The Power To Make Yourself Happy

I believe that everyone has the power to make themselves happy. This may sound easy to some people, but not so for me. It seems that just the right series of wrong events that can happen during a single day can turn down my whole outlook on life.

One morning, I was getting ready to catch the bus for school. I had woken up late, couldn’t find a matching outfit, and I found that we had run out of Pop-Tarts the day before; there goes breakfast. The night before, my mother and I had gotten into an argument. As I was running out the door, she yelled, “I love you!” out behind me. My response was to grunt and slam the door in my wake.

Once I reached school, I began to have a conversation with a friend. I realized after she had left, that I was being harsh and insensitive. I had made her miserable, because I myself was feeling miserable.

On the walk to class, I began thinking about my attitude. I started to feel silly about why I was so angry. In the long run, a morning with no Pop-Tarts and a day with a pink outfit and red shoes didn’t seem like that big of a deal. I had made myself so angry and despondent to the world around me. I figured right then and there that I could just as easily make myself happy.

I realize that I can do this, simply by taking a moment to evaluate the situation. The next step is to take a moment to find some humor in the situation. I realized one day that I can‘t help others, until I help myself. So I changed, right then and there.

I believe that letting small things go will help me deal when a real tragedy comes along. My great aunt nicknamed Auntie, was a great example of this. She had a long, hard life, but you’d never know it talking to her. She lost a son due to illness, and also her first and second husbands. She was the light and powerhouse of my family, up until her untimely death in May of 1993. A long battle with leukemia finally took it’s toll. She was the center of fun and laughter up until her very last day on earth. She remains a great example to me, and inspires me daily to let things slide, and to keep a smile on my face.

So for those of you out there who share with me in tending to get down, there’s hope. That hope comes when you take a moment to evaluate the situation. Once you’ve begun the evaluation, take a minute to find something funny about the situation, and be able to laugh at yourself. Simply: make yourself happy.