Giving up, is not an option

Karen - Apple Valley, Minnesota

For as long as I can remember, giving up was not an option. I learned this at a very early age from many people around me…especially my mother. My mother started her family very young. She was eighteen when she had my eldest brother, and by the time she was twenty two, she was married with 3 children. She didn’t graduate from high school…but giving up for her was not an option….she worked hard 2 and 3 jobs sometimes to make sure that me, my brother, and my sister had a roof over our heads, food in our stomachs, and clothes on our back. Everything she did, she did for us…giving up for her was like giving up on us, and that she wasn’t going to do.

For her she lived in the moment, anything to make sure that her children came. First, but she never forgot about her self…giving up was not an option. When I was in third grade I remember her going back to school. She worked tiring days, and sleepy nights to make sure that she could provide a more stable life for her children. And that she did. I’m proud that my mother is a fighter; she has shown me in more ways then one…that giving up is not an option.

Her hard work ethics rubbed off on me as I grew up…when it felt like school was to hard and getting a okay paying job was easier…I remember thinking giving up is not an option. When it felt like a ten page paper, a stat exam, and a history test was going to kill me…I remember thinking giving up is not an option. Giving up for me was never an option, because it was not how I was raised. Giving up was admitting failure, and defeat, and admitting that you aren’t in control of your life.

Her teachings were never as clear in my life growing up as it is now. Now, I know more then ever that giving up for her is not an option. My mother had a stroke this past fall, and allot of negative things came from it. But her teachings from the past, and the remarkable recovery that she is making, makes me very hopeful for the future. Because now, I know that giving up is not an option for her, or for me to let her.