What kind of Book am I?

Rebecca - Tiffin, Ohio

I am the book that few people read, the book with the weird cover and boring title. I am the book that sits on the shelf and waits to be read. Sometimes, people will read the back, or the inside cover. They might skim a few chapters, but they never finish the whole book. What makes me a certain type of book? Not the way I dress, or how I look, but who I really am.

People tend to judge others without really knowing them, I know I have. We stick labels to other people: Emo, Goth, Prep, Punk, Jock, etc. These are all labels, though they do not define who a person is. People are labeled because of the way they dress, the music they like, or even the way they style their hair. We tend to judge other people without reading them, just like how we judge books by their covers. How we look is just our cover, and for a lot of us nobody takes the time to really find out about who we are.

I’m stereotyped as emo; because my nails are painted black, I wear black clothes, and because I have a tattoo and multiple piercings. I’m a lesbian, because I cut my hair short and prefer guys who wear make up, have long hair and look a bit more feminine. I’m weird because I like foreign music. I’m a geek because I actually enjoy reading, and watching movies with subtitles. I cut myself, because I always wear hoodies or long sleeves. I’m depressed because I don’t smile enough.

All of these assumptions about me as people see it are not true; no one really can figure out who I am. My nails are painted black so I don’t chew on my nails. I cut my hair because it looks good short. I love foreign music because it’s cleaner then American music. I wear hoodies because they’re comfortable. I don’t smile because I’m not confident; yet, only a few people who have taken the time to know me know any of that.

So what kind of book am I? I am a really interesting book, once you take the time to read me.