As Above So Below

Judy - 02459, Massachusetts

As Above So Below

“As above, so below.” My father, a psychiatrist and psychoanalyst like myself, was a passionate closet astrologer. I believe that astrology has so much to offer humankind, that it is a disservice to others to conceal my conviction of its usefulness.

I am not referring to pop sun sign astrology; i.e. that which you find in the newspaper, but an astrology that includes the impact of multiple planets and points in the sky. Astrology provides a map of the human psyche that is as specific, deep and complex as psychoanalysis There is, however, a major difference between the two. For the psychoanalyst there is no transpersonal meaning to the particular family into which we are born. The unique genetic and historical blessings and burdens our particular family of origin bestows on each of us, is seen as a random event. Evolutionary astrology, in contrast, posits that we are born into a specific family in order to evolve as a soul and fulfill its purpose. Our family provides a fertile medium for the specific challenges each of us as an individual soul need to master.

The following is but one small example of how I make use of astrological knowledge in my life. Tonight there is a new moon in Capricorn. A new moon provides supportive energy for initiating projects. Capricorn in particular, as an earth sign, is linked with manifestation, and that which endures. These past few years have been challenging for me; a difficult divorce coincident with the death of both my parents. Now middle aged, I feel more aware of my finite lifespan. With the remaining years in this current incarnation, I plan to devote more of my energy to writing and painting. The new moon in Capricorn has occasioned me to consciously employ the momentum of the moment, fueled by the supportive energies of the heavens, to put my pen to paper with this essay, as well as to begin a new painting.

There is a wish at this juncture in my life to be more fully myself in all realms. There is a feeling of “If not now, when?” Astrology, like psychoanalysis, promotes self knowledge and acceptance, embracing both the light and shadow in myself and my fellow creatures. I would like to give myself more openly to the world in the form of my art and public endorsement of astrology.

For everything there is a season. Astrology is all about cycles and time. It provides a startlingly insightful perspective on people and world events, which is both useful and comforting. I believe it is time for us to put aside our narrow rejection of that which is impossible to logically comprehend. We need to open our minds, so that we can be informed and profit from the wealth of knowledge that sophisticated astrology has to offer, even though we cannot fathom how it works.