I Believe in the Future of Nursing

Arlene - Bradley Beach, New Jersey
Age Group: 65+

I have always believed in our future generations and the possibilities they bring to all of us. I am a recently reired RN and over the many years I practiced I was happy to see new nurses join the profession and always believed in giving them opportunities to grow. I was never disappointed in the results but never more so then when I was recently hospitalized. I trusted I would receive good care and I did. I met seasoned nurses, recent graduates, student nurses and those in between. Nurses from the U.S., those who immigrated here and became nurses or were nurses in another country and chose to come here to practice. Female nurses and male nurses. I strongly believe having men in the profession is an asset. I believe our country is facing a serious nursing shortage which will be devastating.I believe we need to encourage youg people to enter the profession and assure there are professionals to teach them.When I think of what medicine has yet to explore and the many skills and opportunities there are , how excitng. I believe nursing is a profession of people who are knowledgeable,skillful, compassionate, understanding and caring. Nursing is both demanding and rewarding. It requires,I believe, perserverance, selflessness, physical stamina, kindeness and humor. One will never become rich in the monetary sense but the wealth of satisfaction when you know you have helped someone regain their quality of life; brought a smile to an elderly persons’ face; reassured a concerned famly; relieved someone’s pain and yes, even comforted someone in their final days/hours ,it is so much more. This I believe.