I Believe in Trust

Sandra - South Haven, Minnesota
Themes: integrity

I believe in trust. In the necessity of trust. Not in blind faith, for blind faith implies unwarranted belief. Trust is expectation with reason, tangible or intangible, behind the believing.

Tangible reason may be supported by near certain outcome, such as the sun rising, or may be fostered by speculative analysis, such as the refrigerator working. Such things we trust to reliably function from day to day.

The intangible is just as real and just as necessary for trust to be extended, though far more difficult to define. It is based on observation and centered in perception. The intangible involves other people, their thinking and motives. It involves circumstances beyond our control and often beyond our presumptions. Intangible reason is highly subjective, and as a result, what trust will be extended is at least as influenced by what is to be trusted, as it is the perspective of the one extending it.

As a horticulturalist, trust is put to the test in every step of the process. The viability of the seed, the temperament of the weather, the specifics required for each plant variety to sprout and then not only to grow but to thrive, to yield a harvest, and my own good health to be able to tend the crop; it’s all dependent on trust. Nature cannot be rushed and only marginally can be predicted. Yet, all those forces beyond my control must be considered, their potential realized, and appropriate trust extended for there to be any hope for a seed to reach fruition. For any hope of an idea to mature.

How much easier, and perhaps more natural it is to remain skeptical, not to trust. It’s a natural defense reaction, to choose doubt over trust. Doubt can provide protection against being let down, loss, failure, and resulting hurt. But doubt is a double-edged sword. It can protect but it also destroys.

Guatama Buddha says, “There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.”

Doubt inhibits, corrodes, and in the end prevents the essential life-giving opportunities for growth to take root and flourish. It robs you and everything around you from even having a chance. Logic and cold reason are poor weapons against doubt. Trust in self and others and in the functions of this world provides the tool that offers hope, confidence, and motivation to succeed. All can and often does thrive when provided opportunity, and even more so when extended encouragement.

“Few things help an individual more than to place responsibility upon him, and to let him know that you trust him.” Those words from Booker T. Washington resound truth. Trust allows for progress, creativity, exploration, freedom of expression, hope, compassion, love. What comes of trust is beautiful, it is present and within reach, but only available only to those who extend it.

Without trust you have nothing.

Trust makes everything possible.