Practice Pays Off

William - Plymouth, Massachusetts

Never Give Up

In my senior year of High School I was unsure if I wanted to try out for the baseball team for my final year at school. I had sat on the bench in the year before on JV, and was cut sophomore year and I didn’t know if I wanted to do sit there again. Also because the coach didn’t like me too much I thought that I was going to be the first senior ever to be cut from the team at Plymouth North. The day of tryouts I finally decided to go for it, the work outs would be good for me. After sitting on my butt for 3 months playing video games and eating potato chips I was in no condition to run at all. When I arrived at that first day of tryouts I thought I was going to die. The practice consisted of running, drilling, running, and conditioning. After a few days of these practices Coach Follette, who I could tell did not like me at all, told me that I would not be playing much this season. He said that I would only get about three or four at bats throughout the year. Figuring as much I told him that I was here to have fun and get better at baseball so I stuck around for the season.

After a few days I could feel myself getting into shape, and I was feeling good about myself. During our scrimmages at practice I played them like they were games, and just had fun. Even though I tried my best there were always those goofy moments where I would just look like the biggest idiot, and would try to make a joke out of it somehow to make the coach laugh and not yell at me. I worked on hitting more that fielding when I could because I knew if I got to play it would be to bat, and I was already a pretty decent fielder. When we did scrimmage we would have to play against the starters, so we would usually get our good hits robbed from us.

The games started and the team looked good. I was anxious to get up to the plate for an at bat. The fist game passed with a 9-0 win, and the next two wee also wins. I will never forget the fourth game of the season. We had gotten a big lead early and everyone was doing very well. The coach said, “Billy, swing a bat” that was his saying for get ready your going to get an at bat. I got up to the plate and took a deep breath. I figured that the pitcher was going to put one right down the middle to start off with an, 0-1 count. As the ball left his hand I took a step, started my swing and watched the ball all the way to the bat. It rocketed back over the pitchers head into center field and I had gotten my first hit of my varsity career. Even though I was stranded on base I was happy with myself, and I got to go play the field. After another long wait I got my second at bat of the game. One of my teachers said to me as I was in the box ,” Nice hit last at bat Billy, Now hit a home run!” I arrived at the place once more and dug in to the box. With a 3 ball and 1 strike count I new the next pitch was going to the one. The ball once again left the pitchers hand. I stepped and swung at the perfect pitch. The ball left the bat like a rocket and I sat there and watched. I had never done anything like it before. I started to walk down the line thinking to myself, “GO, GO, GET OUT, PLEASE GO!” About halfway down the line the ball finally landed only four feet from the fence and bounced up to hit it. I was disappointed that it wasn’t a home run, but I was still very excited for the farthest hit of my life.

I went on that season to get about ten at bats and one at bat in the post season. We went 26 wins and 0 losses, ranking us one in the state and number six in the country. Coach and I settled our differences and he apologized for past events which meant a lot to me. Playing on this team and practicing hard not only made me a better baseball player it made me a better person. After high school baseball was over the town season started up and I played on a friends team who was coaching it. I taught what I had learned to the others who seemed to have never played baseball before in their lives. I was one of 3 on my team chosen to go to the tournament for the old colony division where we placed second under the Cape Cod Division who had what seemed to be 20 year old men on the team. I believe you should never give up on yourself.