Sharing the Well

Amanda - Hudson, Massachusetts
Themes: Christianity

There is a song that goes “share the well, share with your brother…. It takes a deeper well to love one another, share the well my friend.” My “well”, my life source, is God and the many blessings He has given me. I believe in sharing my “well” because if I kept it to myself it wouldn’t be worth having.

My “well” is deep and full. I have many blessings, but I guess they can be narrowed down to three. The source of my “well” is love, which brings about happiness and from that springs optimism.

My name- Amanda- means “fit to be loved” and I think the name fits pretty well. I am loved first by God and He has blessed me with loving family and friends. I believe that I have been given love so I can share and spread it wherever I go.

One of the obvious ways I spread love is through volunteer work. Every Thursday you will find me at my church running around getting people food and drink that we serve to them for free. Every summer I “save the world” (as my friends put it) when I travel to Machias, Maine with a group from my church. There, in New England’s poorest county we selflessly spread love through our work and love doing it.

In school, my “well” provides me the nourishment to spread love to my peers. This year especially, I have been intentional in loving those who are less loved by others. By spreading love I (hopefully) brighten someone’s day and have gained a few friends in the process.

I also go through my day as vessel of happiness; almost always smiling. I used to like to say that I was a mascot for McDonalds; you know “put a smile on…” Unfortunately they changed their slogan, but I don’t think that I will ever stop being happy. It’s funny, because even when I don’t feel happy, I still manage to be happy. My smile (I have been told) brightens peoples’ day. My peppy attitude, frequent laughter and other expressions of the joy I have inside will cheer up people. Unfortunately, it is probably annoying to others. I wish it wasn’t that way. I wish that happiness was like a cold in that everyone that came in contact with it could then catch it, and spread it to others. I believe that happiness has a power unlike any other emotion, to change someone’s outlook on life.

My outlook on life and what it throws at me is usually very optimistic. I am optimistic because everyday something good happens to me; I wake up to a world of blessings. I want the world to experience my joy and optimism by feeling blessed too.

Jason Mraz, my absolute favorite musical artist ever spreads his optimism through his song lyrics. He encourages people to “just take it easy, live high” and tells how “life is wonderful.” His attitudes towards life have spread to me and enforced what I already lived by.

It doesn’t matter, really how love, happiness and optimism are spread. I have heard it said that “love can turn the world.” And I firmly believe that it can. When someone’s day is made by showing them love, or making them happy, it could end up changing their life. Who knows? Maybe they were so depressed that they were considering suicide, but the one little gesture made them feel important. That is what I believe life should be; living to make a difference. It is something to be remembered by even if it is just a “small” difference. When I am gone from this world I want everybody to remember me as Amanda Jean Wolfe; the girl smiley girl who loved. And I believe that I can be; by sharing my “well.”