Playing with our Food

Lydia - Danville, Kentucky

Strawberry waffle cones are the best invention ever.

The sweet sugary crunch of a freshly made waffle cone mixed with the tangy taste of strawberry citrus fruit concentrate. The two were never meant to go together, yet the crisp pink waffle is mouth watering, and the sweet odor lingers in the air tempting everyone within range.

Strawberry waffle cones were invented by my friend and coworker Zac Pelkey. A responsible adult would not do this. A responsible adult would conserve every bit of concentrate, and follow the recipes exactly. We are not responsible adults. We are teenagers, we are Baskin Robbins employees, we are artists, inventors, master chefs. When the store is empty we create masterpieces that are way better than anything on the menu. However, we cannot submit our creations to the Baskin Robbins Company because they do not accept suggestions form anyone but corporate employees, franchise owners and suppliers. It’s too bad. They are missing out!

I believe in playing with food.

I believe in trying new things even when they sound nasty. Carrots are amazing with Ketchup. Mustard powder gives vegetable soup a very tasty kick. And chili can be taken to new heights with a bit of turmeric. These are all things that I have learned through playing in the kitchen, and mixing ingredients on a hunch.

I am only 17, so I haven’t seen very much of the world. But I have seen enough to know that if a person is not willing to take chances, then they will get nowhere! Or at least, they will get nowhere very exciting. I believe in giving everything a fair shot, then learning from my mistakes.

I prefer dishes with a bit of pizzazz, like stir fry. I put all kinds of extra stuff in stir fry, and it usually turns out just fine. Sometimes I even add raisins, and other dry or fresh fruits, but the key is the sauce. My favorite things to add are cranberry juice, and red pepper oil, though even I am not brave enough to mix the two.

I believe that life should be like stir fry.

Everything is mixed together already, but it is our responsibility and privilege to make it exciting. We can meet new people, and try new things. We can act spontaneously and then accept the consequences; be proud of our achievements, and learn from our failures. We should never refuse something because it is unfamiliar. Trying new things is the only way to grow as a person. And we can start by playing with our food.