Kyana - Platteville, Colorado
Themes: family, gratitude

I believe in many things; those of which have to do with my family and friends. I believe in happiness; not the kind you feel when you buy someone a present and seeing their smile; but the happiness you fell when you know what your thankful of; and your glad to have what you have.

I was born into a family where my dad was the most awesome dad there can ever be. Then there is my mom; well my biological. Back then my mom was a not so good person. She would be at home with us doing drugs while we played. My dad comes home every night saying what she should do. Everything evolved around us; well not according to my mother. My dad wanted to get a divorce. He wanted custody of both my sister and I. He told the judge what he was doing and what she wasn’t. Over all that arguing, she won. My dad’s heart literally sank. Over time her habits never changed. My dad would stop bye every now and then. She opens the door with a cigarette in her hands while holding one of us. My dad comes in and he’s holding ten or so bags of baby food, diapers, clothes; you name it. You can tell that he felt sorry for us, my sister. You can tell that he wanted the best for us back then and now.

My dad soon remarried. He had his weekend visits. He really loved them. Soon after, my biological mother was still on the wrong path, and my dad went to court. He told and pleaded to the judge how awful and unstable she was. My dad won. Sixteen years later, my dad has yet still given my sister and I the best life I could ever imagine.

We moved from our old home to a nice clean home. I loved my step mom so much that I started calling her mom. I started calling my biological mother by her birth name; Candace. It’s her life and not mine. I want to go to collage and learn new things. I don’t need her dragging me down with her. I feel lucky ad happy everyday because I know that if my dad would have lost in court that day, I would probably still be there with Candace. I have gotten everything I have ever wanted; happiness, love and support, family, and friends all from my wonderful parents; who have actually been there.

I know that I am thankful for everything I receive. My half brother that I never seen has practically no good teeth, a home of which is a pigsty, and a grandma who can hardly take care of herself. He doesn’t even see his mom or his sisters. He is nine or ten years old; I haven’t seen him for so long that I have forgotten. I know that I have it better than he does and there is nothing that I can do to help him.

I believe in happiness because everyone deserves a second chance; not everyone has to live his or her lives like my half brother and the way my life could have been. I think that my sister and I were given a second chance when my dad fought for us every day and finally won.