The Power of Friends

Emma - Creve Coeur, Missouri

Growing up, I knew several people I called my friends. Unfortunately, we never treated each other as equals. I always felt like I didn’t deserve them, so I ended up treating them like they were the rulers of my life and I was a mere mortal. On the other hand, they never invited me to anything. I was just a tag-along. I was constantly changing schools, so I never had time to make any close friends. By tenth grade, I’ve been to eight different schools. Last year, at Castle High School in Newburgh, Indiana, I met three boys, my three best friends. I believe in the power of friends to get you through rough times.

My parents are divorced. My mom’s been divorced twice. My mom has had a handful of boyfriends as well. People have come and gone in my life, leaving me hurt and wondering what I’d done wrong. The idea of friends slightly confuses me. They aren’t related and they’re not obligated to like me. I believe it is vital to have someone who cares, even though they don’t have to.

After my mom’s third marriage, my mom and I have had more fights than we’ve ever had. In the middle of this past November, my mother and I had gotten into a really nasty argument about virtually nothing. After all of our fights, I always feel as if I’m not good enough for anybody, not even my own mom. My best friend, who’s in Indiana, was texting me and trying to calm me down. Later on in the conversation, he sent this: “Think of your happiest memory of us and try to relive it. Extend it into infinity and know that we will always be there for you. =).” Here was someone who cared for me without being forced. I believe good friends are great at being there to have fun, and sticking around to help afterwards.

Unfortunately, I am human. I sometimes tend to wallow in my own misery. My friends also stick around to help snap me out of my pity party. I believe that friends are good at giving you a nice, guilt-trip free slap in the face to realize that life isn’t as bad as it may seem. Every once in a while, I just sit and mope around about how my life is miserable. When I get into that mood, I just call my friends and they help me see the truth. Usually, they tell me to tell them everything bad that has happened. I end up realizing that there isn’t really much on the list. My three best friends all have divorced parents and complicated lives, so we all are going through some of the same problems. By sticking together, my friends and I realize that Earth isn’t such a bad place after all.