jt - st. louis, Missouri

Character is not something a person is born with but something a person learns. These days there is a clear lack of character in many people this is evident in the way people present themselves to the world. Used to in the days of our parents and a mans word was his bond. Now days there is always skepticism behind what people say, no one can really tell when a person will be true to there word or not. I believe that a mans character is essential in life.

My father is always saying “a mans character is not measured by how many victories he has but by how many times he rises from defeat” I think this saying holds true even into today’s standards, though there is a serious lack of character, the people that really succeed in life are the ones who have good character because, they are the people who are not afraid to take a risk who aren’t afraid of failing. There the ones that when they fall “lick there wounds” and get right back up and keep going.

With today’s culture for some reason it is socially acceptable to lie and steal and cheat and people turn the other cheek. With out giving it a second look or thought. People learn from example weather it’s from a parent, grandparent, or a famous person. What kind of example will we be setting for our children when we as a whole have little to no character at all? What’s the world’s definition of a great man? A pro athlete, pop star, singer. I believe that a great man is a man with character. Now i’m not saying that a person who is a pro athlete or a pop star cant have character i’m just saying we should be looking up to the people with character because you can learn so much more from them than anyone else. A mans character this I believe is everything.