Coloring Life One day At A Time

Ryanne - St.Louis, Missouri

It’s my sophomore year and everyone kept telling me this was going to be one of the hardest years of high school. Of course, being myself, I did not believe it. I mean, people were telling me that freshmen year was going to be harder than eighth grade, but I did not think so. But, boy was I in for a big surprise this year. My classes actually felt like they were harder this year. I know you would think that is what it was supposed to be like but it hit me so fast. I realized I was going to have to study a lot more than I did last year. To make my wonderful high school life even more difficult, my friends were acting “different”, well some of them anyway. I started to realize that things were actually beginning to change. And, as we all know it, stress even gets to the best of us. So, unfortunately I was feeling a little stressed out and frustrated at times.

Luckily for me, I found my own way of relieving myself from my state of “stressfulness”. It so happened to be coloring! Now, I know you are probably thinking that I am too old to color, but hey, it worked. It seemed to just calm me down. It was as if it slowed things down. It allowed me to breath and just relax for a second. But, what I was coloring was something unique, if you ask me. It was a wordle, or a word collage of words that you made on the wordle website. The theme of my wordle was the words to describe my life. That was the reason why I called the paper, “my life”.

It took me two weeks to finish coloring it. This was only because half the time I could not find my crayons. Everyone would ask me why it was taking me so long to color a piece of paper. I would simply respond by saying, because I can only color life one day at a time.

When I first said it, I really was not sure what it meant. It was just something that sounded nice. But after saying it so many times, it began to from a definition. I believe in coloring life one day at a time. For me, this simply means, taking life one day at a time. It meant not rushing through things and taking it easy sometimes. I mean, I can only handle so much, and I needed to realize I could not take on everything at once. That way I would not end up feeling so stressed all the time.

All I needed to do was break things down, and relax. When coloring life one day at a time, it makes things so much easier.