I Believe Life Is What You Make It

Alexis - St. Louis, Missouri
Themes: carpe diem

As I was sitting in biology class, not listening to instructions from the teacher, I was worrying of the test I hadn’t studied for. She gave us the usual ten minutes to study before the test and I, of course, was not using the time wisely. I figured studying was no use. I’d never be able to learn all of the material in time, so why try at all? It was a waste of energy.

As I sat there waiting for her to pass out the test that I was doomed to fail, something hit me. I reached an epiphany: I realized that I had nothing to lose. It’d be better to know even just one answer to the test than none, so why not study?

Why not use my time wisely, even if it was just ten short minutes? Whether or not I passed this test, life would go on. I figured I should try to make the most of this so I took the opportunity and studied. As I was taking the test, I realized that this applies not only in boring biology classes, but in life itself. It doesn’t wait, it goes on whether you’re ready or not. It’s up to you to make the most of every day of your life. It’s up to you to live in the moment and seize every opportunity while you can. Big or small, every chance you get can make a difference in your life. Sure, fate may play a minor role, but it’s your life, you hold the ultimate key to your own future. I believe that life is what you make it, and whether you realize this through something as trivial as one biology class sophomore year, or through a major, life altering event, just remember to make the most of life while you can. It is short, after all. So live it up. Seize the day. Carpe diem.

(Turns out I failed the test, but at least I learned a valuable lesson during Biology class sophomore year