Happiness is a Lost Tooth

Denise - St. Louis, Missouri

You buy a seed, plant it, and watch it grow into a beautiful flower. Then it dies. You are in the mood for a delicious ice cream cone on a hot summer day. As soon as you hold it in your hand, the refreshing treat falls to the ground. You believe that you’re dating someone who loves you and practically give them your soul. Then they break your heart to a non-repairable state. This has all happened to us in some kind of way. Bad luck? That’s what we want to believe. We’ve all experienced a feeling of excitement and joy and then we’re let down in an upsetting nature. From this, I believe that true misery begins with happiness.

When I was a little girl I didn’t believe in the fictional characters that the average parents spoon-fed to their kids. Santa was a giant fake. How is this fat man fitting down my chimney? That’s a safety hazard. The Easter Bunny has no purpose.

I knew good well that my mother bought me my holiday candy. As for leprechauns, that was just plain ridiculous. I believed in the only female character that got any credit from children next to Mrs. Claus. I believed in the tooth fairy.

She was amazing. For some reason I was intrigued when my mother told me about her generosity. I remember the first tooth I lost and for once, I actually wanted to go to bed on time. When I awoke the next day, I saw a green dollar bill with my name on it underneath my pillow. The idea of trading teeth for money excited me. The tooth fairy literally inspired me to find ways to knock my teeth out just for a simple encounter with her. I had successfully lost around twelve teeth to her magic hands, until the tragedy happened.

Somehow, I don’t even remember, I miraculously lost two teeth at once. That night I went to bed an hour early expecting two dollars in the morning instead of just one. So I wake up bright and early to get my money and guess what? My teeth are still there. I was mortified, enraged, and confused all at once. I thought the tooth fairy forgot about me. My mother finally broke the news to me and told me that the tooth fairy was non-existent. I felt betrayed and lied to but in a way, I received a new perspective of life.

Through my mom’s storytelling, she showed that she loved me. She was the one who did all of this for me, not some silly fairy. Of course I gave my mother the silent treatment for three days until I figured it out, but I still came to an understanding. Yes misery derives from happiness, but through your suffering new discoveries can be made.