My Biggest Fan

Taylor - Saint Louis, Missouri

When I was real young, my dad was my hero. I thought he was the greatest person in the world. He traveled too much with work, so our time together was precious. In third grade, I got a new look at my dad. I got a look at who he really was. My dad was a drug addict. He was an alcoholic and a workaholic. He was anything but a dad to me. He lied, he cheated, he stole. And at that point I knew I needed to find a new hero.

When my dad finally went into recovery, the first thing I learned was the serenity prayer. “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” I didn’t know it at the time, but this would be something I would come to live by.

If I’ve learned anything in life thus far, it is do no assume that people will change on their own and don’t assume I can change them. Minus the drugs and alcohol, my dad came out of recovery unchanged. I then knew I could never expect to be able to see him the same again. He would never be the hero he once was. The day I realized that was the day I realized my hero was with me all along.

I believe in being my own hero. I can learn from my own mistakes best and I can cherish my successes most. I do not have to be let down when my hero does not live up to my standards. I could not change someone who disappoints me, but I can change myself, push myself to continue reaching for who I want to be.

God granted me the serenity, the courage, and the wisdom I need to get through whatever life throws at me. I cannot change everything, but I do everything in my power to change the things I can. I create my own happiness and live up to my own goals. I bask in my glory and honor my flaws. I smile, I laugh, I cry, I dance, I sing, I live. I live exactly the life I want to live. I am my own hero. I am my biggest fan.