Darts And Consitency

Tim - Saint Louis, Missouri

I really despise darts. It started about two years ago when my parents brought home a dart board from a garage sale. We set it up downstairs, and everybody got bored with it within thirty minutes. It might have lasted longer if somebody could consistently hit the board. But to be honest, the bookcase five feet to the left had more to worry about than the board. And God help the file cabinets.

I was probably the worst dart player. I might get the twenty, the nineteen and the fifteen on one turn, but then on the next one I might hit the electrical outlet. That was the only time I’ve actually hated something. I’m a big fan of consistency you see. I love it to be precise and predictable. But this little piece of aluminum and plastic was mocking my entire perception on life.

Phooey on that.

Most people don’t share my perception of why consistency is good. Something about “being spontaneous.” Well, look at Ty Cobb, an undoubtedly better offensive baseball player than Adam Dunn, even though Adam clobbers out 32 to 40 homeruns every year. Ty Cobb was dependable, and thus is remembered as one of the best baseball players ever. The fastest way to Cooperstown is through consistency.

Consistency isn’t only valued in sports. Consistency is dependability. And dependability is valued everywhere. The workers who are constantly able to do well on their assignments get larger raises, just as teenagers are allowed to drive sooner if they are responsible. And the amount of trust one has for another is based on their record of consistently doing what they said they will do.

I’m going back to my darts now to try and get them to hit the right spot, even though I pretty sure it’s not going to work out. I hope those darts know they’re never going to Cooperstown.